Monday, January 13, 2014

It's amazing what you can see when you can see

Wow - I honestly had forgotten how colorful and brilliant fireworks actually were. I had been suffering from a cataract in my one good eye, and it really came to a head last summer. We scheduled surgery for the 2nd week of December, and ever since, I've been rediscovering why I love pyro.

You see, one of the side effects of a cataract (a clouding of the lens in the eye) is a loss of contrast and glare. Bright things caused a brilliant glare that covered up anything that was dark. So when I walked down Radiator Springs street in Disney California Adventure, I'd either wear a hat or put my hand over my eyes like the sun was out because of all the neon. If I didn't, I literally couldn't see the ground in front of me. And when fireworks went off, it would hurt. Especially white and brilliant colors. Colors were more like a white line with a colored halo. And I gradually stopped yearning for pyro all the time.

One of the first things I did after the surgery was to go to California adventure and simply walk down the street in Radiator Springs, looking right at the neon signs, and opened mouth because of the colors. My wife was along with me, so before the fireworks we went over to Disneyland and stood on Main Street waiting for the Christmas fireworks program to begin. It really is a great show, but seeing the intense colors and not looking away when it was bright was a truly wonderful experience. I realized about half way through the show, I had tears running down my cheeks. I honestly had forgotten what they looked like.

Because of the surgery, I could not lift heavy objects or bend at the waist (to keep pressure off of the eye). So I figured that while I was on the disabled list, I'd send the cameras out to be repaired. So that's why I missed the Manhattan Beach Pier Christmas show (the very next morning was surgery), the Laguna Beach fireworks for the closing of the boat parade, and New Years Eve. This time I wasn't going to risk anything.

I've been to the Disney fireworks shows a couple of times, and I'm really looking forward to shooting WinterBlast this year! (And NOT LOOSING THE FREAKIN IMAGES!!!) And wouldn't you know it - they added an extra day but my work responsibilities will keep me away till Friday.

I don't care. It's a fireworks feast and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. For the first time...

No comments:

Post a Comment